What are some strategies to meet locals and make new friends upon arriving in Australia?
- Talk to people in your class.
- Join activities you enjoy.
- Participate in school activities.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
Strategies to Meet Locals And Make New friends upon Arriving in a new country.
Talking to people in your class, joining activities, participating in school events and getting out of your comfort zone can help you meet locals and make new friends upon arriving in a new country. In this episode of TIPS, Juan Camilo Reyes shares how you can maximize your connections as an international student.
The most basic thing students in Australia can do to make friends is to walk up to people in their class. Talk to your classmates as soon as you arrive. Small talk can go a long way to build lasting friendships. It all begins in the classes you take.
Once you feel settled in, find activities that you enjoy. There are certainly school clubs and societies for whatever hobby you have. Your interests will also ensure lots of fun with new people. School activities are also great ways to meet new people from different faculties.
Another great way to meet locals and make new friends upon arriving in a new country is to get out of your comfort zone. Avoid always hanging out with people from the same country as you. Be open and willing to connect with a diverse crowd. Your conscious effort is needed as this will not be easy. However, the rewards will be worth it.
School is an investment. The best return you will receive are the connections built here. When you study, meet locals and make new friends upon arriving in a new country, you can create a wonderful network. Eventually, these are the people who will trust you with opportunities after university.
This episode was possible thanks to
Bedssi.com (Accommodation Solutions in Australia)
Follow & Subscribe to “TIPS”
Listen to other episodes full of practical and actionable advice.
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or find us on any of these:
Click below to follow TIPS on LinkedIn
You will like these other stories…
- Biggest misconceptions visitors and students have about Australia, Rebecca Hall – 021
- Mistakes Jobseekers Make When Applying for New Jobs, Career and LinkedIn Content Advisor, Kirsty Bonner – 024
- Tips For Couples or Families Migrating To Australia, Shannon Semenikow – 004
- Steps Students Need To Consider When Thinking Of Immigrating To Australia, Shannon Semenikow – 007
- Avoiding The Most Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business, Natasha Munasinghe – 036