What are some tips for applying for a job in a new industry?
- Be prepared to start from the bottom.
- Be persistent and don’t be afraid of the “no.”
Tips for Applying for A Job in A New Industry
Be prepared to start from the bottom and be persistent. Those are two things to keep in mind when applying for a job in a new industry. In this episode of TIPS, David Harrison shares what he has learned from shifting to an entirely different career path.
Preparation is always key. When it comes to such a drastic change, expect to start from the bottom. David Harrison believes it is better to start at the bottom of a ladder you love climbing than to climb a ladder you don’t even like. Working and living in Australia opens up many opportunities and there are plenty of paths to choose from.
Then, to get your foot on the door, be persistent. Don’t be afraid of the “no.” Many people will discourage you. It’s hard to have faith in someone with no experience. It is also our tendency to mistrust people who change their minds. However, we should make it our goal to prove them wrong. Keep on going and don’t give up. If this career shift really matters to you, do everything you can to be noticed. Make yourself memorable by being persistent.
These are just a couple of tips for applying for a job in a new industry. Learn more about career changes and job interview tricks from other TIPS episodes. Good luck!
This episode was possible thanks to
Bedssi.com (Accommodation Solutions in Australia)
Follow & Subscribe to “TIPS”
Listen to other episodes full of practical and actionable advice.
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or find us on any of these:
Click below to follow TIPS on LinkedIn
You will like these other stories…
- Facing Challenges, Fear and Making Decisions, World Champion Free Diver Anna von Boetticher – 040
- Tips to Organise A Customised Study Abroad Group, University of Minnesota’s Martha Johnson – 066
- Things Every International Student Should Know about Australia, David Harrison – 062
- Advice for New Entrepreneurs, Chester Elton, Top 5 Business Coach in the World – 050
- Costos De Vivienda y Transporte Para Estudiantes En Australia, Ricardo Medina – 025